Whether you’re moving your home or an apartment, you will have to face packing up your kitchen at some point. The kitchen will pose your greatest challenge due to all the appliances, gizmos, and yes, plates and flatware. How can you best pack those fragile items, from cups and mugs to dishes and silverware? Here is a guide.
- Line a medium size box with a large sheet of bubble wrap, making sure it’s large enough that it spills over the outside the box and covers the inside, including the bottom.
- Put a stack of plain newspaper on the table, with sheets large enough to accommodate the plates you’re packing.
- Put the first plate in the middle of the top sheet, folding one corner of the sheet over the plate until covered.
- Place the next plate on top of the first one, wrapping the remaining three corners of the sheet over the second plate.
- Use packing tape to secure the newspaper.
- Place the two plates into the box, on their sides. Do not pack them flat because they could break or chip if the box encounters any type of force. Plates placed on their edge will be able to sustain a lot more pressure.
- Continue wrapping and placing plates inside the box until it has become fairly tightly packed.
- Fold the edges of the bubble wrap to protect and cover all the plates. If you have some room left in the box, place linens or towels on top of all the plates before you seal up the box.
- Label the box “Fragile,” listing the items on the outside as well as their location, such as kitchen or dining room.
- Place heavier items on the bottom, with lighter items on top.
- Use linens or towels as cushions if you don’t have bubble wrap.
- Don’t use boxes that are too big. The maximum weight should be 50 lbs. and no more.
- Hire professional packers if you don’t have the time, materials or patience to do it yourself.
What You Will Need
If you decide to do your own packing, you will need to think ahead and pick up all the necessary supplies. Do this before you have to start the process of packing.
- Medium size boxes
- Sheets of plain newsprint
- Packing tape
- Bubble wrap
- Linens or towels
Contact Texas Best Movers
To get a free moving or packing quote, contact us at our San Antonio or Lacoste offices. From residential moves to commercial moves, we can handle your relocation from start to finish, all at affordable prices.